Lime pie is an American dessert made of Key lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust
- Place the soymilk in a heavy, medium saucepan. Whisk in the gelatin.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Set the pan over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the gelatin dissolves and the soymilk is steaming.
- Remove from the heat, and set aside. 2.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the sugar.
- Immediately blend in half the warm soymilk.
- Mix in the rest of the soymilk.
- Return this mixture to the pot, and return it to medium heat.
- Cook, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, until the mixture coats the spoon, about 5 minutes.
- When dragging your finger down the back of the spoon leaves a clear track, remove the pot from the heat and quickly pour in the lime juice.
- Whisk in the tofu.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until they are a soft, whipped mass.
- Beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- When it is completely dissolved and the whites hold their shape in the bowl, mix them into the egg mixture, using a rubber spatula.
- When they are well, but gently, combined, pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Chill the pie until the filling is set, about 2 hours.
- Cover lightly with foil if not serving immediately.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the lime zest over the top of the pie.
NOTE : This pie will keep up to 3 days, covered, in the refrigerator.