Views : 849
Submitted by : Dayanara Sambo
Submit Date : October 6, 2017, 11:14 pm
Johnny cakes are very popular on the islands of Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. This version of Johnny Cake can be considered as fried bread since it can be eaten as bread. You can put any kind of Deli meat in them, but adding Dutch Cheese (Jonge Kaas) or Gouda Cheese in the USA is most popular way to eat Johnny Cake. Easy to make and very filling. Enjoy !
- 2 Cups of all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoon of sugar
- 6 tablespoon of melted butter or margarine. (Can use Crisco Shortening)
- 1 cup of milk
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- With a wooden spoon, mix them as best as you can.
- Now add the sugar and mix them together
- While mixing the content in the bowl, slowly poor the milk into the bowl and keep mixing.
If you have a mixer with a dough attachment, you can use this also , but keep speed at low speed.
- On a clean table, prep the area by sprinkling some flour on top of the table
- Now Knead the though and add more flour if dough is too sticky. Be carefull not to add too much flour which will result in throwing off the ratio of the ingredients.
- When the dough becomes elastic, create 10 equal size dough balls, cover them with a towel and let them sit for about 10 minutes
- With a roller, flat out the balls with a height of 1/3 to 1/2 inch high
- Let them sit for about 30 minutes to rise.
- Put the oil on about medium high heat in a frying pan. Oil needs to be deep enough so the cakes will not touch bottom of the pan while frying.
- When Johnny cakes tur golden brown, you can flip them
- When both sides are golden brown, takes them out and put them on kitchen towel paper so it can drain the oil.
- Now the are ready to eat. You can add cheese or any other kind of deli meat to it. Enjoy